You may be a seasoned skier/snowboarder or a beginner but here we will outline and examine what true ski essentials to take with you when heading out to those beautiful white slopes. It’s easy to forget things, we understand, so we are not just talking about those blindingly obvious ski essentials but the ones that can make a real additional impact to your time on the slopes.
Firstly, research always helps. We will break this down into different categories to make it as easy as possible for you to organise your own ski essentials.
Travel Addicts Absolute Ski Essentials
Depending on whether you are renting your gear or not be sure to check that the resort you are heading to has the option.
These are your absolutely cannot forget items. Without these items they really can put a Debby downer on your trip and in some cases, you won’t even make it abroad without them (big hint for our top item). Oh, and others can stop you from getting extremely bored:
- Passport (for now you might be ok if travelling within the EU but its always best to take it with you anyway)
- Plane/train tickets
- Headphones (seriously don’t forget these)
- Hand Warmers
- Accommodation booking
- Food and Drink (especially if for a long journey)
- Ankle/knee supports if you have any outstanding injuries or weaknesses.
This is one of our most obvious ski essentials, but if you plan on going Skiing or Snowboarding, then guess what? You’ll need to source some Skis or a Snowboard. This can be done before, if you own your own gear, or most places have rental equipment that you can put a deposit down for and use to your heart’s content.
Here is our exact list of Sporting Equipment Ski Essentials:
- Any additional safety equipment like a GPS tracker or emergency medical devices.
- Helmet (most slopes now enforce this a mandatory requirement)
- Poles (if Skiing)
- Goggles/Sun visor/Sunglasses
On The Slopes Clothes:
This is one of the most common areas to forget something in. If you are planning on purchasing or taking clothing out with you make sure you try it on. You never know you may have grown… (hopefully upwards). Here are our On the slopes ski essentials you should consider taking with you:
- Big Thick Ski Socks or thermoregulatory socks
- Thermal Baselayers (depending on how long you’re going for you might want to take a couple)
- Middle layer, such as a jumper, sports hoody or fleece
- Ski/snowboard jacket (your centrepiece for being noticed on the slopes in style 😉
- Salopettes or ski/boarding bottoms or trousers
- Suitable backpack (make sure it suits the style of skiing/boarding you will be doing)
- Neck warmer or balaclava.
There is nothing worse than getting off the slopes whipping your kit off and realising you have nothing comfortable (or stylish if you are going out) to wear. So make sure you have packed plenty of options for chilling out and when you’re out and about. Just don’t pack anything too nice as apres ski doesn’t tend to mesh with suits or shirts well. If space is a concern then make sure to pick your favourite outfits for chilling and socialising and then choose more of the category you’re likely to be using more of.
Technology Ski Essentials:
Technology is given these days so don’t forget your:
And don’t forget the accessories that all too often come with it such as:
- Selfie stick
- Head/chest camera mount
- Portable chargers
- Camera stabiliser
This will save the agonising pain that is when your about to take your best ever photo and your phone dies…
We hope you found our absolute ski essentials list helpful and if you are planning on going away then please take a look at our Winter Sports Insurance and Specialist Winter Sports Insurance for those of you who are a little more adventurous.