Long Trip Travel Insurance FAQ’s:

If you are looking for more answers or further details on our Long Trip Travel Insurance product, then please see our commonly asked questions below. If you have a more difficult question or need to get in touch with someone then please visit our contact us page.

General Frequently Asked Questions:


  • You can buy a policy instantly online.
    If you have any questions that aren’t covered on this website, please contact us first.

  • We cannot provide cover under our Longstay & Backpacker travel insurance policies.

  • You can travel up to 18 months in total within your specified area of cover.

    Return Home travel is available for 2 trips up to a maximum of 21 days per trip.

    Stop over cover is available for up to 7 days maximum in a higher rates area, i.e. travelling to Australia and stopping over in the USA.

  • Cover for those up to 75 years of age for Europe, Australia and New Zealand policies and up to 69 for Worldwide. 

  • Trips in your home country are covered as long as you have pre-booked at least two nights’ accommodation in a hotel, motel, holiday camp, bed and breakfast, holiday cottage or similar accommodation rented for a fee. 

    This means that if you live in the UK and the UK is your country of nationality then you can travel within the UK for 2 or more days. The definition of UK includes England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and the Isle of Man. 

    If you live in the Channel Islands and the Channel Islands is your country of nationality then you can travel within the Channel Islands for 2 or more days. The definition of Channel Islands includes Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou and Lihou. 

    Please note: 

    If you are a resident of the UK and you will be travelling to the Channel Islands or you are a resident of the Channel Islands and you will be travelling the UK, you will need to purchase a European policy to be covered.

  • We can cover all countries worldwide except where you are travelling to a country where the Foreign and Commonwealth Office (FCO) advise against travel. Visit their website to find out more.

  • Our Longstay & Backpacker Travel policy includes over 100 activities at no extra charge. Please see our policy wordings for more information.

    If you are looking for cover for more hazardous sports and activities than those covered for free, you can purchase additional activity packs. These are also outlined in the policy wordings.

  • You should select the start date of your trip as your policy start date. Cancellation cover will commence once you have purchased your policy.

  • Longstay & Backpacker travel insurance is only available to people who have been permanently resident in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man & BFPO (British forces posted overseas) and who are registered with a Medical Practitioner in the United Kingdom, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man and have not spent more than 6 month abroad before purchasing this insurance.

  • Please use your age as of the day you purchase your policy.

  • Travel Addict is a trading name of P J Hayman & Company.

    P J Hayman & Company is a specialist travel insurance and schemes provider founded in 1990 who are authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority (Financial Services Register number 497103). P J Hayman & Company is part of Lloyd’s Brokers, Crispin Speers & Partners thereby guaranteeing major financial resource and insurance market support.

    Sections A & B1 to B8 are insured by URV, Branch Office of Union Reiseversicherung AG for the United Kingdom and the Republic of Ireland. Registered in England & Wales. A public body corporate with limited liability. Registered Office: Maximilianstrasse 53, D-80530 Munich, Germany. Registered with Amtsgericht Munich, Germany Registered Number: HRB 137918.

    Section C1 & C2 are insured by UK General Insurance Ltd on behalf of Great Lakes Insurance SE, a German insurance company with its headquarters at Königstrasse 107, 80802 Munich. UK Branch Office: Plantation Place, 30 Fenchurch Street, London EC3M 3AJ

  • You pay online using a credit or debit card, we accept both Visa and MasterCard.

  • You can find details of the policy cover, limits, terms, conditions and exclusions in the policy wording.

    Our policy information pages also give you details of the cover limits – select what policy you would like from the right for more information.

  • We take security protection very seriously. When you enter your details online either when getting a quote or purchasing a policy your information is encrypted so no-one else can read them. You can confirm this by checking the padlock icon which you can find in the address bar.

  • We will send your documents to the email address you enter when you purchase a policy.

  • Your documents would have been sent to the email address you provided when you purchased your policy.

    If you can no longer find that email, please contact us with your name, address and policy type. We will then forward your documents to the email address you entered when you purchased the policy.

    If you have changed your email address since purchasing your policy, please call us on 02392 419 883. We are open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays.

  • If you would like to make a change to your policy please call us on 02392 419 883. We are open Monday to Friday 8am – 6pm, closed Bank Holidays.


  • You can cancel your policy within 14 days of the purchase date if you find it is not suitable. We will issue a full refund as long as you haven’t already travelled, made or intend to make a claim. Please call us on 02392 419 883, we are open Monday to Friday 8am-6pm, closed Bank Holidays.

  • A UK resident is someone who lives in England, Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man or British Forces Posted overseas (BFPO)

  • You are a Channel Islands resident if you live either in Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Sark, Herm, Jethou, Brecqhou or Lihou.

  • To make a claim on Longstay & Backpacker cover, please contact; 

    For Sections A & B1 to B8

    We have appointed Travel Claims Facilities to look after your claim. If you require a claim form please obtain a form from the internet at:


    or advise the section of the insurance on which you want to claim and the scheme reference to:

    Travel Claims Facilities, 1 Tower View, Kings Hill, West Malling ME19 4UY

    Telephone: 0203 829 6761

    Fax: 08706 205 001 

    For Section C1- Consular Assist Cover

    All potential claims must be reported initially to the Claims Helpline Service for advice and support.

    In the event of a claim under this policy, you must call the Emergency Helpline Number on 033 33 70 70 70 and report the circumstances that have given rise to a claim.

    The Emergency Helpline Number is operated 24 hours a day 365 days a year.

    Claims under Section C2 – Gadget Cover

    You must notify Supercover Insurance, as soon as possible but in any event within 28 days of any incident likely to give rise to a claim under this insurance.

    Supercover Insurance
    Waterside House
    20 Riverside Way
    UB8 2YF

    Tel: 0203 794 9300

    Email: [email protected]

  • Our Longstay & Backpacker travel policy is available to travellers aged 16 or over at the start date of the policy. 

    Single Parent Family & Family cover is available for 1 or 2 adults and up to 4 children under 18 years of age travailing together.